Australian sporting legend
Steve 'Mona' Moneghetti is one of Australia's all-time greatest marathon runners having represented the country at four Olympic Games, four Commonwealth Games and six World Championships. He has run an incredible 22 marathons and finished in 11th place or higher in 20 of them.
Steve's training regime was intense. He trained twice a day, every day of the year, covering between 180-200 km per week and approximately 8500 km a year. He retired from international competition in 2000 but still runs every day, clocking up more than 100 km every week. His average Sunday involves a 20 km morning run followed by a 10 km run in the afternoon.
A down-to-earth and articulate speaker as well as a highly respected athlete, Steve draws parallels between the demands of an elite athlete and the corporate world. Tailoring his presentation to the client's needs, Steve has presented at a variety of corporate, sporting and community events worldwide.
Steve's career highlights include:
- Bronze Medal, Commonwealth Games 10 km track (1998)
- Gold Medal, Commonwealth Games Marathon (1994)
- Silver Medal, Commonwealth Games Marathon (1990)
- Bronze Medal, Commonwealth Games Marathon (1986)
He attended the 1987, '91, '93, '95, '97, '99 World Athletic Championships winning a Bronze Medal in the 1997 Marathon in Athens. He also attended the 1988, '92 '96 and 2000 Olympic Games finishing in the top ten on three occasions.
Steve's other achievements include:
- Winner, Berlin Marathon (1990)
- Winner, Tokyo International Marathon (1994)
- Previous holder of three World Bests for the Half Marathon (1990, 1992, 1993)
- Winner of four City to Surf races (1988 - 1991) and race record holder
- Winner of four Zatopek 10km Track races (1989 - 1992), the only person ever to win four in a row
- Masters Records for the One Hour Run and 10 km Road, being the oldest person to run the distance in under 30 minutes
His past and current positions include:
- Chair of the Board of Victorian Institute of Sport (2001 - )
- Chair of the State Review into Physical and Sport Education in Victorian Schools
- Regional ambassador for Southern Cross Station re-development
- Mayor of Commonwealth Games 2006 Athlete's Village (Melbourne)
- Australian team's chef de mission for the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi, India (2010)
- Personal development consultant with the Ministry of Education
Steve has a Degree in Civil Engineering, Graduate Diploma in Education (Maths/Science) and an Honorary Doctorate from University of Ballarat (2001)
In 2014 Steve was made a Member of the Order of Australia (AM) for 'significant service to athletics as a marathon runner, administrator and mentor to young athletes.'
During his three decades at the top of his sport, Steve Moneghetti developed a never-say-die attitude. Today, he continues to achieve peak performance while inspiring others, not only runners, to achieve their best at all times.
Steve Moneghetti talks about:
- Goal Setting
- Long Term Planning
- Time Management
Steve really engaged the audience and our team were very interested in both his presentation and with the individual interactions they had with him before and after this. Steve knows his stuff and knows how to tie it into the business context. Very professional.
ANL Container Line Pty Limited
Steve spoke perfectly for the audience of young people, stressing the fact that if you have a go you will succeed, exactly what we needed.
Castlemaine Junior Sports Star Awards Inc.
Steve was a pleasure to work with. He arrived early and went straight about talking to those guests who had already arrived and bonding with fellow runners. His talk was both inspirational and relevant to those in business, as he spoke on the importance of having goals and never losing sight of them - "Everyone has potential, it is up to each individual as to whether they develop that into a talent". Steve spent considerable time signing items and speaking to participants after the event and it was fascinating to watch and hear from someone who is so incredibly focused.
Maroondah City Council
Steve provided conference attendees with an insight into the level of commitment, planning, persistence and effort required to be successful in your chosen field. It was obvious from his presentation that he made an effort to prepare and familiarise himself with the RMA and the role of our members. Steve was both entertaining and informative, providing us with many tips and ideas for dealing with life and work situations.
Revenue Management Association
Steve was a breath of fresh air at the end of a long 2 day conference. Wonderfully funny and energetic and completely down to earth. Everyone in the room could relate to him. His links to leadership in his speech were inspiring and smart.